This post is located in the Evaluation Office, a part of the Office of the Executive Director, at the Nairobi duty station. Under the supervision of the Senior Evaluation Officer in Evaluation Office (EO) the incumbent will be responsible for the following functions:
- Manage and/or provide substantive contributions to project-level evaluations conducted by the Evaluation Office. The incumbent will, as specified by the Director, Evaluation Office, play a supporting role in higher level evaluations such as:
- The Evaluation of the UNEP Medium-Term Strategy, Formative Evaluations of the UNEP Programme of Work, Sub-Programme Evaluations, thematic and evaluations.
- Develop Terms of Reference (TOR) for project level evaluations and keep the standard project-level TOR templates up to date as the evaluation methods and approaches used by the Evaluation Office are periodically revised.
- Identify consultants, review credentials and make recommendations for the selection of qualified consultants to conduct evaluations:
- Oversee the work of project-level evaluation consultants: provide advice on the overall evaluation approach; review and assess the quality of evaluation deliverables and provide constructive feedback to facilitate their finalisation.
- Make presentations and undertake other activities to promote the uptake of evaluation findings across project-level evaluation stakeholders.
- Ensure that evaluation recommendations are communicated to the relevant officers for implementation, with suggestions for preparing an Implementation Plan and follow-up action for future programming.
- Monitor compliance levels for the implementation of evaluation recommendations, and oversee the preparation of recommendation compliance reports submitted every six months to the Deputy Executive Director and Executive Director of UNEP.
- Provide contributions to the Biennial Evaluation Synthesis Report, periodic evaluation progress reports and Evaluation Office Management Studies as requested by the Director of the Evaluation Office.
- Peer review project-level evaluation inception reports and draft evaluation reports being managed by other Evaluation Office staff:
- Actively participate in the preparation process of biennial evaluation plans based on organizational priorities, mandates and previous evaluation reports.
- Ensure that the content of the Evaluation Office website is kept up to date.
Play an active role in supporting the work of the United Nations Evaluation Group and the Nairobi Inter-agency Evaluation Network.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Demonstrated In-depth knowledge of all aspects of evaluation. Proven conceptual and analytical skills and the ability to understand technical documents and write and review valuation reports; shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is Motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- COMMUNICATION: Ability to research, write, speak clearly, intelligibly and effectively in the English language. Ability to communicate with both technical and lay persons, good interpersonal and oral communication skills, including the ability to present sensitive issues/positions and prepare reports on short notice; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- TEAMWORK: Ability to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds with sensitivity and respect for diversity; Proven ability to work collaboratively to achieve organizational and/or collective goals; Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; Is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda.
An advanced university degree in Environment-related Sciences, Development Studies, Economics or Social Sciences is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced degree.
- A minimum of five (5) years of work experience in the field of project and / or programme evaluation is required.
- Experience in international development is required.
- Experience in an evaluation function is desirable.
- Experience in recruiting and managing the work of consultant experts is desirable.
- Experience in preparing, reviewing and editing reports, and delivering presentations is desirable
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language, especially French or Spanish, is desirable.
NOTE: "Fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and "Knowledge of" equals a rating of "confident" in two of the four areas.
Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a substantive assessment which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
Other NGO And Social Development jobs that you might like
Browse All in NGO And Social Development