×
The Standard Group Plc is a multi-media organization with investments in media platforms spanning newspaper print operations, television, radio broadcasting, digital and online services. The Standard Group is recognized as a leading multi-media house in Kenya with a key influence in matters of national and international interest.
  • Standard Group Plc HQ Office,
  • The Standard Group Center,Mombasa Road.
  • P.O Box 30080-00100,Nairobi, Kenya.
  • Telephone number: 0203222111, 0719012111
  • Email: [email protected]

War Memorial Hospital mortuary broken into, body stolen

Rift Valley
 Rowdy youth tried to storm the Nakuru War Memorial Hospital on February 7, 2024. [Kipsang Joseph, Standard]

War Memorial Hospital mortuary was on February 20 night broken into and the body of a woman stolen.

The hospital Chief Executive Officer Patricia Musale said the body had been lying at the facility since September 2023, owing to a family dispute.

“The family dispute was in court and on February 15, and the court gave the children of the deceased the right to bury her,” said Musale.

She said that they agreed with the daughter that she could pay part of the mortuary bill and enter into an agreement with the hospital lawyer.

According to Musale, the woman who was being treated at the hospital, died while undergoing treatment at the Intensive Care Unit.

“She had accumulated a bill of Sh921,000 and her daughter promised to pay half of the bill and I agreed to release the body. However, nothing has been paid,” said Musale.

However, Musale said the woman later called and said the county government had been threatening that they would switch off the mortuary machines if she did not remove the body.

“We were informed that on February 20, the morgue was broken into and the body was moved to Rift Valley Provincial General Hospital and then to Umash,” said Musale.

The incident, she said, was reported at Kaptembwo Police Station and it was recorded under OB 18/23/2/2024.

When reached out, Nakuru West Sub County Police Commander Francis Wahome said he had not been briefed on the burglary and he needed to confirm with his juniors.

The management and the staff of the hospital have been unable to access the premises including the morgue since county officials took control of the facility on January 23.

They temporarily regained entry into the hospital on February 1 under the supervision of Nakuru County Police Commander Samuel Ndanyi, but were chased away by goons.

Since then, Musale said they have never gained access into the hospital and they are unsure what is happening.

Related Topics


.

Trending Now

.

Popular this week