The Standard Group Plc is a multi-media organization with investments in media platforms spanning newspaper print operations, television, radio broadcasting, digital and online services. The Standard Group is recognized as a leading multi-media house in Kenya with a key influence in matters of national and international interest.
  • Standard Group Plc HQ Office,
  • The Standard Group Center,Mombasa Road.
  • P.O Box 30080-00100,Nairobi, Kenya.
  • Telephone number: 0203222111, 0719012111
  • Email: [email protected]

Family seeks answers after Form One student dies

 Whitney Njoki. She is said to have died moments after classmates reported that she was unwell. [Courtesy, Standard]

A family has called for probe into the death of their teenage daughter who was a Form One student in Njoro, Nakuru.

Whitney Njoki, 14, is said to have died moments after classmates reported that she was unwell.

Her father Peter Wainaina said he was called by the school's principal and on arrival, she directed him to the Njoro Sub-County Hospital.

"The doctor didn't want to confirm whether the girl was taken there alive or dead," said Mr Wainaina.

Wainaina said his daughter did not have any history of medical complications.

"My daughter has been in boarding school since primary. She joined Form One at this school on February 7. It has been just a month and with no serious sickness. I have lost her," he said.

 Whitney Njoki's father Peter Wainaina. [Kennedy Gachuhi, Standard]

Njoki's mother Whitney Kagiri, who described her as a bright and humble girl, said the school had linked her death to tonsillitis which the family does not agree with. "I saw my daughter's body at the hospital. She had bled through the nose and mouth. How is that related to tonsillitis?" posed Kagiri.

Njoro Sub-County Deputy Police Commander Lawrence Nallo, however, said the school told them that Njoki had fallen ill earlier this week and had visited the school clinic.

"The management says she had tonsillitis on February 7. She was treated at their clinic and she recovered. On Thursday at 10am, she was left in class as the rest of the students went for tea," said Nallo.

The police boss said the school principal ensured she visited the clinic but when her condition worsened, she was taken to the Njoro Sub County Hospital.

"What we know now is that she was taken to the hospital alive but in pain. She died as she was being attended to. The matter is under investigation," said Nallo.

Related Topics


Trending Now


Popular this week