× Digital News Videos Health & Science Opinion Education Columnists Lifestyle Cartoons Moi Cabinets Kibaki Cabinets Arts & Culture Gender Podcasts E-Paper Tributes Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×
VAS

New Zealand police charge man over possession of explosives in Christchurch

EUROPE
By Reuters | May 1st 2019

  Police officers and vehicles are seen behind police cordon, in Christchurch, New Zealand in this still image taken from video April 30, 2019. TVNZ via Reuters TV. [Photo: Reuters]

A man in Christchurch was charged in court on Wednesday with possessing explosives, ammunition and offensive weapons a day after police found a suspected explosive device in the city where 50 Muslims were killed in attacks on two mosques in March.

Police said the 33-year-old suspect had no known link to those attacks. He was charged with three counts of possession of explosives and possession of ammunition and two counts of possession of an offensive weapon, according to an emailed statement from New Zealand Police.

Police had arrested the man at a service station in eastern Christchurch on Tuesday and bomb disposal officers dealt with the suspected explosive device found at a vacant property in another suburb of the city.

“We are not seeking anyone else in relation to the incident. There are no known links between the 33-year-old man and the Christchurch attacks on March 15,” the statement said, adding that police would refrain from further comment while the case was before the courts.

New Zealand’s security has been on high alert, though the national security threat was downgraded to ‘medium’ last month following the massacre at two mosques in the South Island city.

Fifty people were killed and dozens wounded in attacks on the Al Noor and Linwood mosques during Friday prayers on March 15, the worst peace-time shooting in New Zealand history. Tuesday’s incident was about a kilometer from the Linwood mosque.

Authorities have charged Australian Brenton Tarrant, 28, a suspected white supremacist, with 50 counts of murder.

Share this story
Medical mistake opened up world for this MP
I lost use of my legs at the age of 12. The moment the doctor announced I’d be handicapped for life, everything changed. I had to rethink my future
Diabetes: Insulin now an essential drug
Listing NCDs is a relief to Kenyans like 65-year-old Kahuho Mathai from Nyeri County, who was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure.

.
RECOMMENDED NEWS

;