A mum has warned parents after her toddler was mistakenly given hand sanitiser to eat by his grandmother who thought it was a snack due to the packaging. Nikki Teixeira's 18-month-old son Logan "immediately turned red and started coughing" after consuming the Trolls germ killer before becoming drowsy.
The concerned parent, of Manitoba, Canada, told Good Morning America how she'd bought the sanitizer for her stepdaughter, aged 7, to take to school. "The way it was packaged and displayed with hand sanitizers, I didn't even think of it looking like food," she explained.
After little Logan had eaten some his grandma realised what it was before calling her neighbour and then 911 because he became a "little bit dozy and out of it". Ms Teixeira said within five minutes he was "falling asleep" - though was fully alert again by the time paramedics arrived who took him to hospital as a precaution.
The mum shared a snap of the Trolls World Tour pouch online on August 25 warning parents against buying the product. "Please do not buy these cute hand sanitizer pouches from Wal-Mart that can easily be mistaken for a food pouch," she wrote in a Facebook post. It is my hope to warn others of this misleading packaging. Ultimately, I would like to see them off the shelves completely."
The package contains a small warning, saying: "Do Not Eat".
Smart Care, the company behind the product, has since removed the item from shops, reports ABC News. "As safety is our No. 1 priority, we have switched out this packaging for our bottled hand sanitizer to eliminate any misconception or concern," the company spokesperson told the news outlet.