Kiambu Governor Ferdinand Waititu.

Under-fire Kiambu Governor Ferdinand Waititu was forced to vacate a podium seat during Mashujaa Day celebrations in Mombasa.

Waititu, who is facing abuse of office charges, arrived before other governors and reportedly sat on a seat reserved for Mombasa Woman Representative Asha Hussein.

However, after a few minutes, some of the organisers walked up to him before engaging in conversation.

Waititu then received a phone call before standing up and walking away from the podium. I a video seen by SDE, Waititu is seen greeting security officers as he walked away from the podium and the venue.


Just a few days ago, Waititu faced similar treatment during President Uhuru Kenyatta’s launch of the standard gauge railway’s second phase in Suswa.

During the incident, Waititu was reportedly kept in check by Uhuru’s security detail and was even denied a photo opportunity with the president.

Leaders under probe

A source who spoke to Nation revealed that the organisers were under instruction to bar leaders battling court cases from the podium.

READ ALSO: EACC outlines how Waititu, wife and daughter pocketed millions

“That order was given to the organising team by State House. The President has, for some time, been keen on avoiding leaders either facing court cases or under active investigations."

Waititu and his wife Susan Wangari were among suspects charged with the irregular procurement of a Sh588 million road tender.

Delete photos

About a month ago, presidential guards ordered a section of official photographers to delete pictures capturing President Uhuru Kenyatta’s reception on his arrival at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport.

After the president greeted Nandi Governor Stephen Sang who was the last in line, he headed straight to the presidential limousine to leave for State House.

However, according to an official who was present, the vehicle stopped briefly and Uhuru’s aide-de-camp alighted and talked to President Escort Unit Commander Josphat Kirimi.

Kirimi then issued instructions to his men who singled out a few photographers and ordered them to delete the photos they had taken of the President’s arrival.

Two months prior to the incident, Sang was charged with malicious damage of property, incitement to violence and abuse of public office after he led county officials and residents in destroying tea bushes on a private farm.