The burial of baby Ethan Junior Muendo is currently underway in Sakini village, Mukaa, Makueni County.
Hundreds of mourners have gathered at the home of the late seventh-month old baby who died a week ago after he was injected with an overdose of morphine at Shalom Community Hospital.
According to family pathologist Dr. Daniel Zuria, Ethan died of respiratory depression due to swelling of the brain brought about by the alleged morphine intoxication.
“The brain appears swollen, but the rest of his organs are fit. The primary finding is that there was respiratory depression due to swelling of the brain as a result of alleged intoxication.”
Shalom Hospital was consequently closed after Governor Alfred Mutua held a closed-door meeting with the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board, the Nursing Council of Kenya, the Pharmacy and Poisons Board and the hospital’s administration.
Prof Fred Were, an official who led Kenya Medical Board investigators at the facilty said that the person who administered the drug on the baby was unqualified.
“We found out that the person who administered the drug has never undergone any training in any medical field. The baby died as a result of an overdose of morphine which should not have been prescribed at that stage in the first place,” he said.