× Digital News Videos Africa Health & Science Opinion Columnists Education Lifestyle Cartoons Moi Cabinets Arts & Culture Gender Planet Action Podcasts E-Paper Tributes Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS


Man raped teenage girl on first date as she wept on phone to a friend

By Mirror | Oct 22nd 2014 | 3 min read

Manchester, England:  A man raped a teenager on their first date as she wept on phone to a friend, a court has been told.

Lloyd Seddon, 23, denies attacking the 16-year-old after they swapped messages on the Instagram social networking website.

He is expected to tell a jury at Manchester Crown Court where he is on trial that her ‘mood changed’ during consensual activity, and that he stopped when he realised this.

The girl alleges Seddon pulled her by the hair, bit and slapped her after becoming ‘drunk’ and 'aggressive’ during a night out - and then joked about ‘kidnapping’ her before luring her to an address in Salford where she was raped.

In her account to police two days after the alleged attack, the girl claimed she called a friend as Seddon ignored her pleas to stop, the Manchester Evening News reports.

She said: “I remember my phone had come out of my hand when he pushed me onto the bed, so I searched for my phone while trying to get him off me. I have rung my friend whilst he’s trying to force himself.

“I burst out crying and I couldn’t even speak to my friend, I was just like ‘get off me, I don’t like it’.

"He was still trying to carry on. He just kept telling me to ‘shush’. My friend shouted down the phone.”

In a videoed police interview played to the jury, the teenager said Seddon had ‘followed’ her on Instagram for several weeks before sending her a private ‘instamessage’.

The court heard after the pair chatted online that day she gave him her number and agreed to go out with him ‘for cocktails’ that night.

They were ‘having a laugh’ at a Salford Quays venue until he became ‘aggressive’, she claimed.

The girl said Seddon called a cab after she said she wanted to go home.

But instead of dropping her home he took her to an address on the banks of the River Irwell where he insisted she ‘chill’ upstairs before leaving.

She told police that on the way there he joked that she had been ‘kidnapped’, and that she ‘laughed with him’.

The alleged sex attack was interrupted by a woman entering the house and asking Seddon what was going on before leaving, the court heard.

The girl said: “I got up and got dressed, then I was on the phone to my friend again, saying, ‘I just want to go home’. I was crying, she was saying ‘what’s up?’ - I felt like I couldn’t tell her because he was there and I was scared."

The girl allegedly remained in the house for several minutes after her friend called a taxi to pick her up because the door was locked and Seddon said he didn’t know where the key was, the court was told.

In this period she texted her friend and said ‘I’m proper scared’, the jury heard.

Opening the case, prosecutor Brian Berlyne said: “At that point she was still stuck in the house with Lloyd Seddon.

"The prosecution say she must have sent that text message because she was still feeling vulnerable.

"When she arrived at her friend’s house she was crying, shaking, and apparently found it difficult to breathe properly - appearing to be in shock.

“The prosecution say he could have been in no doubt she was not consenting, because she kept telling him to get off her, she kept telling him she did not like it.

"She did not consent and he knew she was not consenting.”

Seddon, 23, who is from Lower Broughton, Salford, was arrested on May 23. He denies rape.

Share this story
Shikunga school on mission to revive lost glory
In the early 1990s when Shikunga Secondary School in Kakamega was started, academic giants bowed before it. Kakamega High, Musingu and Kamusinga would bring their students to exchange notes with the bright ones of Shikunga.
When Njonjo almost resigned over coffee smugglers
Known as the era of black gold, it began in 1976 when Ugandan farmers decided to sell their coffee in the private market.