Man arrested over sale of contaminated meat
By Obare Osinde | April 7th 2021
Confirming the incident, area OCPD Francis Tumbo said the suspect was nabbed ferrying uninspected meat to eateries and butcheries following a tip-off from the public.
The confiscated carcass was from a cow which died after choking on an avocado seed.
It was slaughtered after it died following a six-hour struggle to dislodge the seed from its esophagus. Attempts by a vetenerian to inject the cow with an antibiotic, administer a corticosteroid and lubrication failed.
"We warn butchers against slaughtering sick cows and selling uninspected meat," said Tumbo.
The owner reportedly disregarded advice by the veterinarian to dispose of the carcass.
"The meat was not recommended for consumption. The meat could have caused serious health problems to consumers. It was injected with a strong antibiotic," a veterinarian told The Standard.
The arrest come five months after eight people were arrested in the county for selling contaminated meat to unsuspecting members of the public.
Take a quick survey and help us improve our website!Take a survey
Businessman’s car torched after woman he was allegedly dating found dead
- Raila's change of tack that has seen Nyanza reap benefits
- Court summons Matiang’i, Kinoti and Mutyambai
By Kamore Maina
- City carjacking: DCI warn drivers over gang stealing vehicle parts
- Couple, their three children die in morning crash
By Robert Menza
- Southern Bypass crash: Ngugi, a man of the people
By Mate Tongola