Man found dead after drinking stolen beer
By By Job Weru | July 9th 2012
By Job Weru
A man died after allegedly drinking too much beer stolen from a trailer that had been involved in an accident at Marua area, Nyeri.
It is believed that the man, whose body was found by the roadside, may have consumed the drink, which was contaminated with broken glass.
Area OCPD Kirunya Limbitu said the deceased was among a group of about 200 youths, who attacked three police officers guarding the trailer, which was ferrying beer to a depot in Nyeri.
“The trailer was involved in an accident on Wednesday night and police were deployed to guard it. It spent the whole of Thursday at the scene as the owners organised for towing services,” said Limbitu.
The trailer, according to Limbitu, was ferrying 1,000 crates of various depots.
Youths from nearby villages pitched tent at the accident scene along the Nyeri-Nairobi highway waiting for the police officers to leave so that they could enjoy free beer.
Their patience ran out on Thursday evening when the youth attacked the officers with stones, forcing them to flee.
They then raided the container.
“They consumed the various brands of beers as others carried some to their homes,” said a witness.
Limbitu said the victim’s body did not have visible injuries.
“We have taken the body to Nyeri Provincial General Hospital where a post-mortem examination will be conducted,” he said.
Kenya 7s captain Amonde set to hang up his boots after early exit at Tokyo 2020
- Olympics: New Zealand beat Kenya in women’s rugby sevens
- Olympics: Kenyans can relax as there was no typhoon
- Why Kenyan trio may not win 3000m steeplechase tomorrow
Missing student found dead at university grounds
- Raila agrees to share political party billions with Wiper, other parties
- Unknown people were tracking Wycliffe Omwenga
- Fanfare as Raila meets musicians
By Betty Njeru
- Letter from Ithanga: Murang’a’s unexploited agricultural Canaan
By XN Iraki
- The four options for Kalonzo in 2022 succession