Spain detains software creator McAfee in Barcelona - police source
SCI & TECH
By Reuters | October 6th 2020
John McAfee, an anti-virus software creator indicted in the United States on fraud charges, has been arrested in Barcelona airport, a Spanish police source said on Tuesday.
He was detained on Saturday as he was about to board a flight to Istanbul with a British passport, the source told Reuters, adding that he would be transferred to Spain’s capital Madrid to face an extradition process.
U.S. federal prosecutors unsealed an indictment on Monday against McAfee over charges that he evaded taxes and willfully failed to file returns.
That came shortly after the Securities and Exchange Commission revealed it had brought civil charges against McAfee, alleging he made over $23.1 million in undisclosed compensation from false and misleading cryptocurrency recommendations.
He is alleged to have earned millions in income from promoting cryptocurrencies, as well as through consulting work, speaking engagements, and selling the rights to his life story for a documentary.
SGR hauls increased cargo between Mombasa port and Nairobi
- High cost of living: Residents decry cost of food prices
- Why 'selfnomics' sounds better than Railanomics, Rutonomics
By XN Iraki
- End of an era as KPC decommissions Kenya’s oldest pipeline
- City land owners to start paying higher rates in January
- Flagging shilling adds Sh1.1b to Safaricom’s debt servicing load