Pokot leaders hail Uhuru for a military appointment
By Irisheel Shanzu
| May 3rd 2020 | 1 min read
West Pokot County leaders and locals have lauded President Uhuru Kenyatta for appointing Maj-Gen Jimson Longiro Kenya Navy commander.
They said it was the first time in history for a military man from the community to rise to such a high rank in the Kenya Defence Forces (KDF). Led by Governor John Lonyangapuo (pictured), the leaders said Uhuru had done a befitting thing.
Former West Pokot Governor Simon Kachapin described Longiro as a disciplined officer who rose through the ranks thanks to his discipline.
Pokot South MP David Pkosing said the appointment was a sign of trust professionals from the community enjoy in the country.
A resident, Kipsang Pargweto, said the community had been marginalised for decades in military appointments, terming the post timely. Maj-Gen Longiro was born and raised in Chepinat-Chepkono village in Pokot South Sub-county.
Kenya Kwanza queries state deal with foreign firm on three ports
- Ukraine war sees importers default on loan payments
- Comesa watchdog probes Toyota over trade practices
- HFC partners with Britam in new education insurance plan
- Poll body ordered to include running mates photos on ballot papers
- Investors take up 80pc of Konza city's phase one land for development