Narok, Kenya: A village in Narok West was thrown into mourning when four people died after consuming alcohol suspected to have been laced with methanol.

The victims, one of them the brother of a local chief, reportedly died shortly after taking the alcohol that was packed in a labeled 300ml plastic container at Oldonyo Rasha area yesterday.

The incident brings the number of people who have died in the area after consuming alcohol believed to have been laced with lethal substances to six. Earlier, two others succumbed at Aitong area near Masai Mara Game Reserve.

Severe stomachache

According to their relatives, the victims, whose eye sights were not affected, complained of severe stomachache. Two died while being taken to Tenwek Mission Hospital in Bomet County where they had been referred to from Narok North District Hospital.

“They died on the way to the hospital shortly after they were referred. Others died in Narok where they were admitted,” said Joseph Liaram, the victims’ families’ spokesperson.

Liaram, who was the area councilor until the last the General Election, said all the victims consumed one unit of the deadly concoction each. In less than an hour, they started sweating and complained of stomach ache, prompting locals to give them milk in a desperate bid to save their lives.