× Business BUSINESS MOTORING SHIPPING & LOGISTICS DR PESA FINANCIAL STANDARD Digital News Videos Health & Science Lifestyle Opinion Education Columnists Moi Cabinets Arts & Culture Fact Check Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×

Mwiraria 'did not benefit from Anglo Leasing deal'

NEWS
By Paul Ogemba | July 5th 2017

A former head of the civil service wants a former minister removed from the charge sheet of those accused of involvement in the multi-billion shilling Anglo-Leasing scandal.

Francis Muthaura testified that former Finance minister David Mwiraria did not benefit from the Anglo Leasing proceeds and should not have been dragged to court to face trial.

"My opinion is that Mwiraria did nothing wrong when he approved the contracts for Anglo Leasing. I believe he was innocent and should not have been charged," said Muthaura.

He added that when Mwiraria and his former Cabinet colleagues, Chris Murungaru and Kiraitu Murungi, were suspended, it was not because they had participated in the scandal but to pave the way for investigations.

Mwiraria, former permanent secretaries Dave Mwangi and Joseph Magari, a former head of debt management, David Onyonka, and businessmen Deepak Kamani, Rashmi Kamani, and Chamanlal Kamani were charged with conspiracy to defraud the Government.

Magistrate Felix Kombo, however, declined an application to have Mwiraria's name removed from the charges, ruling that he had pleaded to them and that despite his death, there would be no prejudice if his name remains on the charge sheet.

"It is true his trial was postponed indefinitely when he was ailing and now that he is gone, there is no justification to compel the DPP to amend the charges to remove his name," ruled Kombo.

Muthaura said he became aware of the scandal when then President Mwai Kibaki asked him to find out what had happened after reports merged that public funds had been lost through a project to modernise police equipment.

"Our concern was whether the right government procedures had been followed," said Muthaura.

Share this story
KRA questioned documents in Sh7 million fraud case, Mombasa court told
A court was on Tuesday told queries had been raised over the importation of ethanol worth Sh7 million for which senior Government officials have been charged.
Survey: Why 40 pc of workers want to quit their jobs
More than half of 18 to 25 year-olds in the workforce are considering quitting their job. And they are not the only ones.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS
Feedback