Turkana wind power project yields 102MW
By Lee Mwiti | March 1st 2017
Lake Turkana Wind Power Company has started the injection of an initial 102MW into the national grid.
The additional power forms 33 per cent of the total 310MW that the wind power farm has agreed to inject into the national grid by June.
On completion, the Marsabit-based firm - the largest wind farm on the continent - aims to produce enough energy to power an additional one million households in the country. Managing Director Phylip Leferink said in a statement yesterday the total cost of the project is estimated at Sh70 billion.
He said the firm targets an annual generation capacity of 1.6 billion kilowatt hour (kWh), while the tariff rate would be Sh8.6 per kWh.
This is based on a 20-year agreement with the Government. —Lee Mwiti
Fuliza defaulters to have KCB, M-shwari accounts blocked as Safaricom tightens rules
- Hope for cheaper cooking gas in sight as State eyes loading plant
- Senegal and Mali beat Kenya in internet speed
- What happens to Kenyan sailors in Chinese ships
SHIPPING & LOGISTICS
- Death of handmade toys holds back our innovation
By XN Iraki
- Time for a job change? Here are some signs
By Paul Kariuki