Father Kizito released from police custody for lack of evidence
By ATHMAN AMRAN
Police Friday set Catholic priest Renato Kizito Sesana free over lack of evidence over allegations that he indecently assaulted a 26-year-old man.
The release came even as members of the Koinonia community demanded that the man who accused Fr Kizito presents himself to the police.
The complainant said he was working for Fr Kizito as his secretary when he was sexually assaulted in Riruta.
Kizito presented himself to the police on Thursday and recorded a statement after the man made the claims. Fr Kizito leaves Kilimani Police station, Nairobi, on Wednesday, May 26 for medical checkup after he was arrested for allegedly sodomising a 26-year-old man who was his secretary. Kizito was set free on Friday over lack of evidence. PHOTO:COLLINS KWEYU/STANDARD
Fr Kizito leaves Kilimani Police station, Nairobi, on Wednesday, May 26 for medical checkup after he was arrested for allegedly sodomising a 26-year-old man who was his secretary. Kizito was set free on Friday over lack of evidence. PHOTO:COLLINS KWEYU/STANDARD
Kilimani police boss Bernard Muli said the complainant was taken for medical examination, which revealed that he had indeed been sexually assaulted.
Muli said Kizito was also taken through the medical examination for specimen comparison. In June 2009, Kizito, one of Kenya’s best known Catholic priests, faced similar claims at an orphanage he ran at Dagoretti Corner, Nairobi. Police sources said medical examinations exonerated the priest from blame leading to his release.
In a statement by the Koinonia communications officer Eric Sande, the community members demanded that the young man face the full force of the law if there is no evidence that Kizito sexually abused him.
Mr Sande said they learnt yesterday that the missionary was released, but demanded an explanation from the Commissioner of Police Mathew Iteere as to why Kizito was not charged after being in police custody for more than 24 hours.
"Yesterday morning, Fr Kizito was taken to Kibera Law Courts where he was scheduled to appear before the court. While we were there some of our beneficiaries saw a white car drive out of the Court premises carrying Fr Kizito," Sande said.
He said the allegations levelled against Kizito are ‘ill intended’.
He claimed the allegations against the founder of Koinonia community were intended to revive a case dating two years ago in which the priest was acquitted following allegations that he had been sexually abusing children over the past 20 years.
High costs of cooking oil, fuel and power make life unbearable
- Local cement firms eye own clinker production to cut costs
- Extension of Sh3.5b meter-gauge railway line complete
- How healthy living has turned ginger into a goldmine for farmers
MONEY & MARKET
- State boosts local vehicle assembler with military deal
- Cost saving tactics to survive harsh economic times
By Peter Theuri