ByteDance says reducing India workforce, unsure of comeback-memo
SCI & TECH
By Reuters | January 27th 2021
China's ByteDance has decided to reduce the size of its India team and is unsure when the company will make a comeback in India, it said in an internal memo to employees on Wednesday.
India has decided to retain its ban on video app TikTok and 58 other Chinese apps after reviewing responses from the companies on issues such as compliance and privacy, two sources with direct knowledge of the matter told Reuters on Tuesday.
The apps were banned amid rising tensions between India and China following a border clash between the two nations last year.
"We initially hoped that this situation would be short-lived ... we find that has not been the case," ByteDance wrote in an internal memo to staff, seen by Reuters.
"We simply cannot responsibly stay fully staffed while our apps remain un-operational ... we don't know when we will make a comeback in India"
Committed teacher ‘won’t be punished by TSC’
By Brian Okoth
- Job seekers flight into slavery and torture in Saudi Arabia
- Bandits kill KDF soldier in night attack at military camp in Baringo
- Intellectual moment at CJ interview
By Too Jared
- School that lost 15 pupils in stampede among top scorers
- I’ve met Oparanya five times - DP Ruto
By Elaine Kirui