City Hall workers: We will continue with our strike until the CBA is implemented

Operations were paralyses at City Hall yesterday after workers began a strike demanding a 15 per cent pay raise.

The workers were protesting non-implementation of a 2012 Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) that gave them a 15 to 28 per cent salary increment. 

Governor Mike Sonko had earlier promised to address the matter, but the workers' union treasurer Francis Gachukia said the strike would continue until the pay deal was implemented.

"We are not ready to negotiate a fresh CBA," said Mr Gachukia.

SEE ALSO :Patients sent home on day two of nurses' strike

Mr Sonko blamed the Salaries and Remuneration Commission for rejecting the CBA signed between the county and its 13,000 workers. He said his administration was willing and ready to pay the workers but its hands were tied by the commission. “When we get confirmation (from SRC) and receive the money then we will pay the workers because they are all entitled to a better life. They should, however, resume work and stop inconveniencing members of the public,” said Sonko.

The workers, however, denied that SRC was to blame.

On Monday, Kenya County Government Workers' Union Secretary General Roba Duba said the CBA had been registered at the Industrial Court and that all that remained was its implementation.

Mr Duba said the CBA would see the workers benefit from more perks, including leave allowances and medical cover. “This is money we had agreed and registered with our employer, who is currently Governor Mike Sonko’s administration and it has nothing to do with SRC. We negotiated with the county government,” said Duba.

OperationsCity HallCBAGovernor Mike SonkoSRCIndustrial CourtRoba DubaStrike