KWS settles Sh70m victims claims

The Kenya Wildlife Service has settled the first batch of claims by victims of wildlife attacks in Kajiado County.

The Sh70 million has so far been paid to the kin of those killed by wildlife that includes lions and elephants.

Kajiado Governor Joseph ole Lenku said the payout had been awaited by the affected families for years, and the move by the wildlife body would reduce their agony.

"We have confirmed that the families have received their dues. We have been fighting for this money for two years. We are looking forward to more payouts in the next financial year. It is a good effort," he said.

SEE ALSO: KWS to use choppers to plant trees

Mr Lenku made the announcement while addressing MCAs during the opening of the county assembly on Tuesday for the fourth session of this term.

During the ceremony, Lenku and Speaker Johnson Osoi seemed to have struck a political truce after a year of fallout that almost had the Speaker ejected from office.

Two camps had emerged, with the governor commanding at least 30 MCAs, while 11 MCAs stuck with the speaker and opposed the ouster bid.

For More of This and Other Stories, Grab Your Copy of the Standard Newspaper.  

In his address, the governor said the county had set a revenue target of Sh1.8 billion following a successful increase in the collection.

Last year, the county collected Sh1.2 billion, up from Sh768 million the previous year.

SEE ALSO: Locals feast on stray hippo as police watch helplessly

Do not miss out on the latest news. Join the Standard Digital Telegram channel HERE.

Get the latest summary of news in your email every morning. Subscribe below

* indicates required
Kenya Wildlife ServiceKajiado CountyGovernor Joseph ole Lenku