Twitter may help crack secrets of Ruto ‘murder’ plot

Deputy President William Ruto at a past event.
The key to unlocking the emotive secrets of the alleged assassination plot against Deputy President William Ruto now lies with the American-based social media platform, Twitter.

Saturday Standard has established that this saga started a week ago after the DP lodged a complaint about his fear for his life through a phone call to DCI boss, George Kinoti.

Multiple sources have confirmed that prior to the telephone call to the DCI headquarters, Ruto had met President Uhuru Kenyatta at State House where the issue was discussed.

Yesterday, investigators intimated that DCI has reached out to the US government to get Twitter to co-operate in investigations to unravel how the image of a letter purported to have been authored by a Cabinet Secretary detailing the assassination plot, had been sent. 

SEE ALSO :Ruto turns palatial home into exclusive guest house

The detectives are also interested in unmasking the person or persons who posted the image currently circulating on social media, which some people believe was the root cause of the current whirlwind.  The decision to rope in Twitter was reached on Wednesday at a meeting between top investigators from the DCI cyber–crime unit and the US Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI).

Initial plans by the investigators to get a statement from the Deputy President failed at the last minute.

After failing to meet Ruto, investigations could not proceed. It is then that a meeting of the top investigators recommended that the probe should first establish the source of the letter after which the DP can record his statements.

For More of This and Other Stories, Grab Your Copy of the Standard Newspaper.

DP’s statement

DCI Economic Crimes Unit boss Michael Sang, who is leading the investigations, had on Tuesday, together with his investigators, visited the Harambee Annex office of the DP but failed to secure an interview with him.

SEE ALSO :Seven-year presidential term sparks controversy

At the DP’s office, the investigators were informed that Ruto was in a meeting and could not see the investigators at the time.

A spokesman from the DP office is said to have informed the investigators that Ruto had been briefed about their presence and had promised to get in touch with them at a later date, sources said yesterday.

DCI Chief George Kinoti is reported to be in communication with Ruto to plan when his (Ruto’s) statement would be taken. Investigators also intend to seek the help of Facebook and Google. This will only happen after police receive the report from Twitter.

Google and Facebook have offices in Nairobi. Twitterdoes not have local representatives.

Yesterday, sources told Saturday Standard that preliminary investigations had revealed that the redacted letter was first shared on Twitter and later on other social media platforms.

SEE ALSO :Mumbi Ngugi ruling spells doom to governors, MPs, MCAs

Police now want the platforms to help identify the person who first shared the letter. It is only after receiving a response that the real work will begin.

Should Twitter help identify the person who posted the letter, he or she will be required to tell the investigators the source and credibility of the letter, police sources said yesterday.

Yesterday, detectives told Saturday Standard the investigations had taken off at a slow pace but hope they would gain momentum by end of the week.

The letter seeking help from Twitter was drafted last Wednesday and was forwarded through FBI.

Police were hoping to get a report by last evening.

SEE ALSO :Ruto’s best option is to stand up and fight hard

The DCI has a working relationship with FBI and police believe that help from the American investigators would remove elements of bias in their investigations.

The meeting held at the DCI headquarters was attended by officials from the DCI Cyber-crime Unit and the Sang led Economic Crimes Unit.

Shot down

The investigators had also explored the option of using Interpol, but the idea was shot down since America is not a member country of Interpol.

Multiple interviews with investigators have also revealed the inside details of the investigations that has sucked in at least four Cabinet Secretaries who last Monday appeared before DCI investigators but did not record statements.

Saturday Standard established that Kinoti summoned two senior officers at the investigations bureau for an urgent meeting at his office last Saturday.

DCI Director of Investigations John Kariuki and Sang met Kinoti that afternoon where news of the complaint by Ruto were first discussed. The top detectives agreed to among other things, and as a matter of urgency, summon the four CSs named in the document to record statements with them.

Investigators are however yet to visit La Mada Hotel where the plotters are said to have held a meeting.

“The waiters and hotel management will at best confirm the meeting but not details of what was discussed. So why waste your time at this stage?” posed an investigator.

We are undertaking a survey to help us improve our content for you. This will only take 1 minute of your time, please give us your feedback by clicking HERE. All responses will be confidential.

William RutoGeorge KinotiTwitter