Maize scandal suspects charged, released on Sh5 million bond

Ten suspects in a maize scandal have been released on Sh5 million bond each.

The suspects, who include officials from the National Cereals and Produce Board (NCPB), an assistant chief and local traders, denied the charges before Principal Magistrate Patrick Olengo.

They are Kibet Korir, a silo manager at the Eldoret depot, Laban Momanyi, a cashier at the Kisumu depot, Willy Kipkoech Kosgey, a silo manager at the Kisumu depot, and his deputy Jeremiah Omutsani Omway, Thomas Sang, an extension manager and David Korir, an assistant chief.

Others are Willie Kipkoech, the Kimumu Ward Assistant Agricultural Officer, as well as traders Caroline Chepchumba, Rodney Kimutai and Stephen Kiprob Maiyo.

SEE ALSO :Practice that gave rise to the idiom 'throw down the gauntlet'

Economic crimes

All of them have denied the charges that were read by Mr Olengo. Another trader, Victoria Jebet Rotich, who has also been charged alongside the nine, did not appear, as she was said to be sick.

The court heard that between October 17, last year and this year’s June 1, the suspects conspired to fraudulently acquire maize worth Sh110 million from the NCPB.

In the first count, the 10 suspects were charged with conspiracy to commit an economic crime.

Mr Kosgey and Mr Omwayi faced three other charges, including that of failing to properly manage public funds. They are said to have facilitated maize delivery by Ms Chepchumba.

The duo also faces charges of abuse of office. “Those with passport should surrender them and the accused be remanded at Kisumu Government Prison awaiting processing of their bond, “said Olengo while giving bond terms.

For the latest news in entertainment check out Sde.co.ke and Pulser.co.ke , for everything sports visit Gameyetu.co.ke and ladies we have you covered on Evewoman

NCPBSuspects chargedMaize Scandal