Today's Paper
You are here  » Home   » Kenya

Violence victim's kin recounts how he died

By Kevine Omollo | Published Wed, December 6th 2017 at 08:57, Updated December 6th 2017 at 09:03 GMT +3
Friends and relatives carry the body of Steve Omondi Ogada during his burial yesterday. [Collins Oduor, Standard]

Chilling accounts of a protest violence victim's last moments emerged yesterday during his burial.

Stephen Omondi Ogada, 20, was killed by a mob on November 17 in Muthurwa market, Nairobi, in the violence that erupted during Opposition leader Raila Odinga's homecoming.

Yesterday, Omondi's sister-in-law, Eunice Munga, who witnessed his death, shocked mourners with a moving account of how he was killed.

Omondi's killers

Speaking during his burial at Obumba village in Sidho, Muhoroni Sub County, Eunice described how Omondi's killers dragged him from his hideout, slit his throat and dragged his body on the tarmac in celebration.

Eunice, who operates a number of businesses at Muthurwa market, narrated how Omondi, who cleared high school last year and was set to join university next year, was betrayed by a person known to him.

“When the confrontation started, we were not scared as it was not common to see demonstrations spill over to the market, so we went on with our businesses,” she said.

Stay informed while on the go by subscribing to the Standard Group SMS service. Text the word 'NEWS' to 22840.

She said the situation grew worse, and fellow traders advised them to close businesses and flee. She then quickly collected her merchandise and locked up, before helping Omondi to close the mobile money shop they operated.

Getting out of the market, however, became challenging as two opposing groups battled using all manner of crude weapons amidst police gunshots and tear gas. According to Eunice, it was at that point that Omondi made a decision that would later cost him his life.

“I gathered courage and waded through the battlefield, but Omondi chose to go back to the market, where he found a place to hide,” she said.

According to her, Omondi was spotted by a woman who directed his attackers to his hideout, one of the market stalls. The attackers then broke into the stall, pulled him out and attacked him before slitting his throat.

“After he had died, the attackers cheered, sang and danced around the body before dragging him for about 200 metres to Landhies Road,” she said.

Omondi's father, Fred Okoth Okwaro, said he hoped his son's killers would not go unpunished.

Area MP Onyango Koyoo called for a commission of inquiry into all election-related deaths this year.

Would you like to get published on Standard Media websites? You can now email us breaking news, story ideas, human interest articles or interesting videos on: [email protected]