Report: Why your child is likely to drop out of a school Next Story
Granny, 80, earns second degree, eyes doctorate Previous Story
You are here  » Home   » Education

Lenana School closed after demos over death of Form Three student

By Josphat Thiong’o | Published Tue, October 10th 2017 at 00:00, Updated October 10th 2017 at 11:31 GMT +3
Lenana School students ready to go home following Monday's demonstrations over death of a colleague. (Photo: David Gichuru/Standard)

IN SUMMARY

  • Lenana school closed after demos over death of student
  • Regional education coordinator said the students had been released to mourn and also make sure the institution was devoid of the disease

Students at Lenana School were on Monday sent home indefinitely following demonstrations over the death of a colleague.

They took to the streets following the death of Amos Mumo, who was in Form Three, and accused the administration of trying to cover up the cause of death. According to the students, Mumo had been quarantined at the school’s sanatorium on Saturday after he contracted chicken pox; where his condition worsened.

ALSO READ: Stop destroying Kenya’s economy, Uhuru tells Raila

There were also two other students affected by the disease, but were allowed to go home and get further treatment.

"Mumo was isolated from other students and placed under the school's care, but we suspect he was neglected, leading to his demise,” said Boniface, a student.

Mumo got critically ill on Saturday and was rushed to Kikuyu hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

"We were coming from the agricultural show and on alighting from the bus we saw some of the school staff rushing Mumo to a vehicle. He was already covered in a bed sheet, which we took to mean that he was already dead,” added Boniface.

The announcement

Anthony explained that the confirmation that Mumo had passed on came from their principal during Sunday morning's assembly and that was when all hell broke loose. The students were not satisfied with the principal's explanation and walked out of the school compound, blocking motorists along the busy Ngong Road.

Regional education coordinator John Olontua confirmed that the boy fell ill on Wednesday and was admitted to the school clinic. He, however, developed complications on Saturday, prompting him to be rushed to hospital. Olontua said investigations into the incident were still ongoing and health officers were on the ground. He added that students had been released on a mourning break and also to make sure the school was devoid of the disease.

The principal was on Moday held up in a meeting with the board of directors and Health ministry officials.

ALSO READ: Anti-IEBC protesters loot in Kisumu (Video)


RECOMMENDED

ADVERTISEMENT

latest News

VIEW ALL

Trending Now

ADVERTISEMENT

KTN News Live Stream