President Uhuru Kenyatta on Thursday insisted that the Supreme Court subverted will of the people by nullifying a valid election where he was declared winner with a big margin.
Uhuru said that the full judgement delivered by Supreme Court confirmed that voting, counting and tallying was done in accordance with law and the number of votes he obtained was not contested.
However, he said the presidential election was nullified on assumption that there were no irregularities in the election results forms but the courts did not conduct proper scrutiny or verification of the forms.
“Election of August 8 was indeed valid and the will of people of Kenya was subverted by courts. The Supreme Court owes Kenyans an explanation on how such a monstrous injustice could have taken place,” said Uhuru.
He insisted that he will comply with judgement but the constitutional right of Kenyans to elect leaders is undisputed.
The President asked IEBC conduct a fresh presidential election within 60 days as ordered by the Supreme Court and allow Kenyans to have a chance to vote for their preferred candidate.
Uhuru assured Kenyans that the country will remain secure and stable. He urged citizens to go on with the business of building Kenya and that security officers should provide protection to all Kenyans. IEBC on Thursday announced October 26 as the date for fresh presidential poll.
The Cabinet earlier in the day approved Sh10 billion to cover the repeat election. The budget allocation will be tabled in Parliament on Tuesday.