He was jovial, with lots of friends Mandera victim's family recalls

Family members of Nancy Muthoni Munene (centre) go through some photos of her son David Muchoki Munene, one of the victims of Mandera attack, at Chaka Village, Nyeri County. News of the death of Munene has left his family in shock. (PHOTO: KIBATA KIHU/ STANDARD)
The family of one of the victims of the Al Shabaab attack on a residential building in Mandera County less than a kilometre from the Somalia border town of Belled Xawa last Thursday is still in shock. News of the death of David Munene Muchoki, 40, who was among six of those killed in the attack has left his family in shock.

“I got a call from his wife at around 9am. She told me she had received news that Muchoki was dead. However, she was yet to confirm whether it was true,” said Nancy Muthoni, the late Muchoki’s mother.

One hour later Eunice Wangari, wife to the late Muchoki, called back with the sad news.

Stay in touch

SEE ALSO :Car bombs shake Somali military base, deaths reported

“My mother was in shock on hearing the news, but once Wangari confirmed the news, I started calling family members to inform them that my brother had been killed,” said Billie Mbugi, Muchoki’s younger brother. The family, which travelled from Kangaita in Kirinyaga County overnight, is currently at the deceased’s home in Nyeri County awaiting further information. “Wangari has gone to the Chiromo Mortuary in Nairobi to identify the body as we plan our next move,” Mbugi said. Paul Maina, also a brother to Muchoki, said his brother was a jovial, protective man who had lots of friends. “He was very active, and enjoyed socialising.

Actually he called us last month and made a joke about how we should stay in touch,” Maina said. Muchoki had worked in Mandera for one and a half years as a truck driver, ferrying construction materials to various destinations and was rarely at home. The family noted the last time they saw Muchoki was close to two years ago.

Relatives had been concerned about Muchoki’s safety. His mother said she had asked him to quit his job and move closer home but he refused. “My heart is torn apart after losing my first born son. I have not slept or eaten since I found out that he is dead,” she said.

For More of This and Other Stories, Grab Your Copy of the Standard Newspaper.

We are undertaking a survey to help us improve our content for you. This will only take 1 minute of your time, please give us your feedback by clicking HERE. All responses will be confidential.

al Shabaabterrorismdeathmurder