survey
Today's Paper
You are here  » Home   » Kenya

Police to provide security in CORD anti-IEBC demos, ask for routes and destination for planning

By Cyrus Ombati | Published Sun, June 12th 2016 at 14:44, Updated June 12th 2016 at 16:10 GMT +3
Inspector General of police Joseph Boinnet. Police have vowed to provide security to demonstrations planned against the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission. (PHOTO: COURTESY)

Police have vowed to provide security to demonstrations planned against the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission.

But they want organisers to provide them with the routes and intended destination of the procession for easy planning and manning.

Inspector General of police Joseph Boinnet said Sunday the protesters have a right to picket peacefully as provided by the law.

“Their planned demos are allowed and we will provide security for the same. We urge the organisers to provide us with the route, time and intended destination to help us plan well and accordingly,” he said.

Boinnet said police need to have organisers of the events take charge of their procession, as the officers to be seconded there would be leading the way.

CORD and other organisers plan to hold a demo Monday and Thursday to push for inclusive talks on how the commission should be reformed ahead of the 2017 general elections.

Boinnet said the organisers of the protests should take charge not to allow intruders who may take advantage of the situation to loot property or harass motorists.
The organisers have said they will have marshals to lead in the demos.

Avoid becoming a victim of Fake News. Subscribe to the Standard Group SMS service by texting 'NEWS' to 22840.

The move came after various parties announced picketing and protesting is a right contrary to the ban statement issued last week by Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery.

Nkaissery has been criticised over the statement he issued in the wake of the sustained protests aimed at pushing reforms on IEBC.

The organisers of the protests say the moves taken by the Jubilee team are not binding and sure because they restrict public participation and ensure the process is done only by Parliament.

CORD gave conditions they needed to be met before the proposed talks start even as other parties called for sobriety in the manner the process is being done amid threats from the Jubilee team that they would proceed with the exercise.


The demonstrations have been ongoing in the last month leaving at least six people dead and more than 30 wounded, most of them from bullets wounds.


Would you like to get published on Standard Media websites? You can now email us breaking news, story ideas, human interest articles or interesting videos on: [email protected]

RECOMMENDED