By Ramadahan Rajab and Ali Abdi
Ten people have been killed and six others seriously injured following banditry attacks in Isiolo.
OCPD Samuel Kosgey told The Standard the survivors of Sundayâs 5.45am attacks in Kisima village are nursing gunshot wounds at Isiolo District Hospital.
"So far we have not made any arrests, but my team is on the lookout to stop any further attacks. Our investigation team is combing around to bring the suspected raiders to book," Mr Kosgey told The Standard on the telephone.
More than 100 raiders suspected to be from Samburu East descended on villages near 78 Tank Battalion and engaged migrant herdsmen from Isiolo Central in a fierce shoot out that lasted for more than two hours.
The OCPD said security officers pursued the rustlers alleged to be from Samburu and Turkana communities and recovered more than 4,000 camels that had been stolen.
The incident elicited angry reactions from local MPs who demanded action from Government.
Isiolo North MP Mohamed Kuti, speaking in Nairobi, accused Internal Security Minister George Saitoti of being partisan in resolving insecurity in Isiolo.
"Prof Saitotiâs focus is on 2012 and not to protect lives of citizens under his docket. He should be ejected from the office to save lives," Kuti said in news briefing.
Mr Siyat Hassan, a home guard who sustained gunshot wounds on the right hand and left leg, said he was in the company of four colleagues when the raiders struck.
"They were so many. They surrounded our village and started firing towards the huts. Others drove away our camels," said Hassan from his hospital bed.
- Moderate drinking in pregnancy 'harms IQ'
- Nigeria rolls to 6-1 win over Tahiti at Confederations Cup
- Mechanics engage police in running battles over land dispute
- Copter lands in farm causing panic
- Tale of IDPs stuck in forest 20 years after deadly tribal chaos
- Wife of IEBC boss seeks divorce, claims desertion