Your are here  » Home   » Africa

Suspected militants kill 10 in Cameroon suicide bombing

By Reuters Updated Saturday, November 21st 2015 at 20:04 GMT +3
Share this story:
Comments

A suicide attack by suspected members of Nigerian Islamist militants group Boko Haram killed at least 10 people over the border in the Far North region of Cameroon on Saturday, security sources said.

Boko Haram has mounted numerous attacks in Cameroon, Chad, Niger and Nigeria this year and is turning the border region near Lake Chad into a war zone, the United Nations refugee agency said last month.

"The initial figures speak of 10 dead including the suicide bombers and around a dozen wounded," said a senior Cameroonian army commander of the attack on the village of Nigue, a suburb of Fotokol town.

Boko Haram has waged a six-year campaign for an Islamist state in northeastern Nigeria. Neighboring countries joined an offensive against the group this year and the conflict spilled across their borders, displacing tens of thousands of people.

Boko Haram used Cameroon's impoverished Far North to stockpile supplies and recruits until the government cracked down last year.

Cameroon is also in an 8,700-strong regional force led by Nigeria against the militants, expected to be operational by the end of the year. The United States is sending military supplies and troops to the central African country to aid the fight.

Do you have something to add to this story? Comment here.
Share this story:
Comments
Africa
Comment Policy
Quins and Impala register wins in the ongoing Kenya Cup Tournament
Quins and Impala register wins in the ongoing Kenya Cup Tournament
The Huruma building collapse has been attributed to weak structures and bad weather
The Huruma building collapse has been attributed to weak structures and bad weather
President Uhuru leads the country in burning Ivory as a sign towards the fight against poaching
President Uhuru leads the country in burning Ivory as a sign towards the fight against poaching
What exactly brought down the wall of Death  along Ring Road in Nairobi
What exactly brought down the wall of Death along Ring Road in Nairobi
Huruma Tragedy: 12 confirmed Dead and 69 still unaccounted for and feared might be in the rubble
Huruma Tragedy: 12 confirmed Dead and 69 still unaccounted for and feared might be in the rubble
Survivor's Account of the tragic Ordeal that has ended the lives of 12 people so far
Survivor's Account of the tragic Ordeal that has ended the lives of 12 people so far

FOLLOW US TODAY