By AUGUSTINE ODUOR
The Ministry of Education is ready to roll out solar powered laptops for all Standard One pupils in public schools by next year.
Education PS George Godia said the ministry is prepared to implement the pledge by the Jubilee Government. The PS said the initiative would fit in the ministry’s plan to ensure Information and Communication Technology ( ICT) is a major driver in Kenya’s education.
He said ICT would be a teaching and learning tool in all public schools and not an examinable subject in class.
“Based on these initiatives, if the Government decides to provide laptops for all children then it is just a matter of scaling up because we already have infrastructure,” said Godia.
He said the first initiative to be implemented was the Nepad e-school programme sponsored by the African Union and implemented in eight centres across the country.
He said the 210 e-school initiatives saw the schools given computers, printers, and LCD projectors among other items.
In addition to the gadgets, Godia said each school was given Sh1.5 million to implement the project.
The PS said the Government had also implemented the e-learning multimedia laboratory project for schools. He said so far the Government has spent over Sh4.5 billion in a project that targeted 240 institutions.
He said the other project is the economic stimulus programme, which targeted about five schools per constituency.
“Each school was given computers and an Internet capacity building which has had impact,” he said.
Over 2,000 schools have benefited so far under this initiative.
Next Story »
- Through to semis: KCB new coach Dan Oluoch has flying start as bankers gun down Ulinzi 2-1 in Machakos
- TENNIS: Roger Federer faces Wawrinka in Carlos final
- Resounding victory for orange: Vaisakhi defending champs begin title retention campaign with big win
- Rugby: Kakamega crowned Great Rift schools champs
- KCB signal intent: Defending champs Bankers kick off Great Rift 10-a- side Main Cup on winning note
- First Lady’s performance in marathon inspired millions