By Cyrus Ombati
Police say the incident happened at about 11 pm after a swoop in which 12 suspects were arrested. As the officers escorted the suspects to the cells, a gang regrouped and attacked torching the houses. One man was burnt to death in his house.
Head of police operations in Nairobi Wilfred Mbithi says dozens of police have been deployed in the areas to address the new tension.
“It was a form of retaliation and we are yet to make arrests but officers are on the ground looking to the attackers,” said Mbithi.
He said the body of the 60-year-old man was later taken to the mortuary.
The slum dwellers were angered by the stabbing of one of them by unknown attackers before they descended on shanties they claimed were housing the said attackers burning them.
Police reacted days later and arrested several people who were charged with arson.
Next Story »
- Queries linger over ODM’s well-connected ‘Men in Black’
- Revealed: How drug lords are using students as peddlers
- TENNIS: Federer, Nadal, advance at Indian Wells
- Rugby: Simbas roar but coach Parwaater warns charges not to celebrate yet
- Police arrest 88 in major swoop on drunk driving
- School awards KCSE top performers with goats