By Cyrus Ombati
Police say the incident happened at about 11 pm after a swoop in which 12 suspects were arrested. As the officers escorted the suspects to the cells, a gang regrouped and attacked torching the houses. One man was burnt to death in his house.
Head of police operations in Nairobi Wilfred Mbithi says dozens of police have been deployed in the areas to address the new tension.
“It was a form of retaliation and we are yet to make arrests but officers are on the ground looking to the attackers,” said Mbithi.
He said the body of the 60-year-old man was later taken to the mortuary.
The slum dwellers were angered by the stabbing of one of them by unknown attackers before they descended on shanties they claimed were housing the said attackers burning them.
Police reacted days later and arrested several people who were charged with arson.
Next Story »
- Bonchari elections take shape two months to the day
- Akaranga puts ‘lazy’ staff on notice as four are sacked
- A positive attitude in the office can make all the difference
- Great Rift 10-Aside Rugby Preview: Quick look at participating teams
- ‘Naughty’ things that Kenyans are checking on Google
- Archbishop John Cardinal Njue urges humility among men of cloth