Ethiopia's new leader, Hailemariam Desalegn, has been sworn in after the death of long-time leader Meles Zenawi in August.
"I am very happy to take the responsibility of being prime minister," said Mr Hailemariam, 47, as lawmakers banged on their desks in support, AFP news agency reports.
Mr Hailemariam had been deputy prime minister and foreign minister.
Mr Meles died last month in Brussels after 21 years in power
- Salva Kiir sacks top South Sudan officials
- Lawyer wants Chinedu to appear in court
- Maji marefu’s futile effort to find stolen property
- Diplomatic passports, special number plates for governors
- Can chickens really be cleverer than a toddler? Studies suggest animals can master numeracy and basic engineering
- Freedom of media under threat in Eastern Africa