By Daniel Nzia and Onesmas Nzioka
Among the dead was a female student at Kenya Polytechnic in Nairobi.
A seven year-old girl and her mother also perished in the accident.
The accident, which occurred at Kanga area about 10 kilometers from Mtito Andei, involved a college bus, a public service vehicle bus, a Judicial Department car and a saloon car.
According to Makindu OCPD Sarah Duncan, several passengers received serious injuries and were rushed to Voi, Makindu and Mtito Andei hospitals.
Witnesses said the accident occurred at about 3pm.
They said the driver of the college bus was overtaking another vehicle but swerved to avoid colliding head on with an oncoming bus. They added that the other two vehicles were behind the bus.
They said as the bus swerved, the oncoming bus hit it at the side throwing it off the road.
A survivor from Mombasa bound bus, Steven Komu, said he boarded the bus at Machinery Market shortly before 3pm.
“The bus was speeding and carrying excess passengers,” he stated.
He however could not say exactly what happened as he found himself thrown out of the bus. He suffered leg and arm fractures and was admitted at Suleiman Medical Center in Mtito Andei.
- Relief as surgeons re-attach man’s severed private organ
- Can medical board really bite finger that feeds it?
- Mother claims nurse watched her newborn die
- Governor’s encounter with leaky roofs in school
- Police arrest former councillor for piracy
- Cord leaders allege ploy by State to ‘kill’ devolution through Ministry