By Osinde Obare
Lilian Chebet, a Form Two student at St Mary’s Kamukuyu, was shot in the abdomen.
The officer deployed to guard a private farm reportedly shot in the air to scare away children collecting maize cobs.
A witness, Francis Suken, said Chebet was outside her parent’s home, barely 800m away from the farm when the bullet hit her on Saturday.
Tension was high with residents accusing the reservist of misusing a government firearm to harm civilians.
Kitale OCS Bonayo Galagalo who arrived at the scene helped to quell tension and pledged proper investigations. The officer was later arrested.
A source told The Standard that misuse of firearms and extra judicial killings by reservists is on the increase in the region.
- AAR and hospital ‘treated me harshly’ in my hour of need
- New technology could end Kenya’s historic land woes
- Which way for the civil society in today’s Kenya?
- Achebe does not need any foreign decorations, more so in his death
- Africa supports President Uhuru on Hague
- Why women, youths and Church should drive truth team’s agenda