By Jelimo Chelagat
Numerous questions have arisen following Kenya’s dismal performance at the ongoing London Olympics. Kenya, which has traditionally been a world leader in athletics, has so far only won one gold medal in the 3000 men’s steeplechase race.
Despite having record holders and previous Olympians on the team, the results from the races have been poor. This worrying trend has got many wondering just what went wrong?
With reports of athletes going for the London games with injuries, and others dropping out mid-race; many are asking was this the best representation Kenya could have at this international fete?
Management issues have come to light with reports of wrangles among top officials in the National Olympics Committee of Kenya officials and their Athletics Kenya counterparts. These conflicts are said to be adversely affecting athletes.
Additionally, fingers have been pointed to the lack of adequate preparation, especially in the area of acclimatization and strategy.
Join the debate and give your verdict here. In your view what is behind this dismal performance?
- Salva Kiir sacks top South Sudan officials
- Lawyer wants Chinedu to appear in court
- Maji marefu’s futile effort to find stolen property
- Diplomatic passports, special number plates for governors
- Can chickens really be cleverer than a toddler? Studies suggest animals can master numeracy and basic engineering
- Freedom of media under threat in Eastern Africa