By Cyrus Ombati
A timber merchant on Thursday came out and accused a media house of using his photograph purporting it to be that of Rwandan genocide fugitive Felicien Kabuga.
Daniel Muthee Ngeera, based in Isiolo, said since Daily Nation and NTV ran an investigative story on Kabuga he has been on the run and has since closed his business for fear of being attacked.
He denied being a Rwandese and insisted he is a Meru and Kenyan.
“My wife collapsed when she saw my photograph on TV and papers alleging I am Kabuga and asked why I had been lying to her all along,” said Ngeera.
Ngeera, 58, wore a T-shirt with a Government logo that appeared in the clips that were played in the story when he addressed a news conference in Nairobi accompanied by his wife, lawyer and family.
He added he is a retired civil servant and has four children, has never visited Rwanda and that the furthest he has been is Kisumu.
Ngeera addressed the Press at police headquarters where he threatened to sue for damages. He said the use of his photo had put his life in danger as there was a Sh400 million bounty on the real Kabuga.
Police spokesman Eric Kiraithe said they have been forced to provide security to Mr Ngeera and move his family from Isiolo town for fear of his security.
He also discounted some of the evidence in the report. “The documents attributed to Department of Defence in the documentary have such glaring falsehoods that we wonder how the media house went on and published the information,” he said.
He added police are ready to launch an inquest into the Tuesday evening death of former military doctor Dr Peter Rakwach if the family doubts his demise