By Francis Ontomwa
A man and his three children died following a petrol explosion in their house in Kaunga village, Kakamega County.
A container with the petrol the man had bought to sell to motorcycle operators in the village exploded after he lit a matchbox as the family prepared to have super.
The man’s wife was the only survivor in the 8.30pm incident that has left the village mourning on Wednesday.
The man was aged 24 while his three children were aged 4, 2 and 6 months.
“The house caught fire and burnt to death the four who included a six months old child,” said the outgoing Western Provincial Police Officer Ben Kibui.
The wife who was outside the house when the incident happened escaped without burns.
Neighbours tried to put out the fire but could not it had spread.
Kibui urged dealers of petrol to desist operating the business from their home saying the fuel is highly flammable.