By Isaiah Lucheli
Two Iranians suspected of being terrorists were planning attacks on Government installations, public gatherings, and foreign establishments.
The court was informed that Ahmed Mohamed and Sayed Mansour were dangerous international criminals and should not be granted bail, as they had arrived in the country posing as tourists, but were terrorists.
In a sworn affidavit, Anti-Terrorism Police Unit explained that police had recovered 15kg of RDX explosive material and had information that over 100kg had been shipped into the country, but was yet to be traced.
“Police have information the suspects have a vast network in the country meant to execute attacks,” Sergeant Erick Opagal told the court.
Mr Opagal explained the recovery of the explosives was paramount to the protection of life and property, which was a major function of the Kenya Police Service as outlined in the Constitution.
“Granting the suspects bail would allow them to roam the country to accomplish their machinations of causing mass destruction to life and property,” he told Principal Magistrate Paul Biwott.
He added police had information of an imminent terrorist attack, which was being planned by the two with others not before the court.
The two foreigners have been in custody for three weeks since they were arrested in Nairobi. They led police to the site where the powerful explosive matter was hidden.
The suspects renewed their bail application claiming they were sick and needed urgent medical attention and would also deposit their passports with the court.
The magistrate will rule on July 16. One of the suspects, Mohammed, claimed he had been tortured, interrogated by Israeli officers and had received several injections for two days without his consent while in custody.