The five are receiving medical treatment. The severity of their injuries is not yet known.
The attack took place at a Nato base in Wardak province, east of Kabul.
It is the latest in a series of so-called "green-on-blue" attacks, where Afghans in the police or army attack international forces.
The AFP news agency says there have been 19 such attacks so far in 2012.
On Sunday, three British soldiers were shot and killed by an Afghan policeman as they left a checkpoint in Helmand province, in the south.
- Relief as surgeons re-attach man’s severed private organ
- Can medical board really bite finger that feeds it?
- Mother claims nurse watched her newborn die
- Governor’s encounter with leaky roofs in school
- Police arrest former councillor for piracy
- Cord leaders allege ploy by State to ‘kill’ devolution through Ministry