By PETER MUTAI
The victims said the Government gazetted the area as forestland in 1992 and relocated families to other farms within the area to ease tension.
Kuresoi District Peace Committee Chairman Charles Lesan said the Government also imposed caveat on land in the entire division and some parts of settlement schemes in Nakuru.
The 7,000 families were relocated to Kiptagich Extension settlement scheme in Olenguruone where they were supposed to be resettled.
However, Mr Lesan said the land that had been set aside for resettlement was taken over by powerful individuals who served in the former Kanu regime and left the families homeless.
“The Government had relocated us to Kiptagich Extension settlement scheme only for the land that had been set aside for our resettlement to be taken over by other people forcing us to hold on to our former farms,” he added.
Speaking during a peace meeting at Chepakundi health centre grounds yesterday, Lesan said the affected families who are predominantly Kalenjins later went back their former farms where they have settled to date. The elder, who resides in the area, said another 900 families from the Kikuyu community were relocated and resettled at Kapsita Settlement Scheme in Elburgon in Molo District.
Last month, the Lands Ministry in a letter dated March 15, addressed to Nakuru District Lands Registrar and signed by Chief Lands Registrar C W Ngata, lifted the caveat in some parts of settlement schemes in Nakuru County.
Areas in Nakuru County where caveat is still in force include Kiptagich Extension scheme, Tinet, Likia, Sotiki, Ndoinet, Ngongongere and Neswet.