You should also make a point of updating the contact details for your referees regularly. As a rule referee information should include the name, title, company, postal address and a phone number. A personal cell phone is usually preferred over office lines that can sometimes be bureaucratic to get through.
Other factors to consider include standing in society and literacy levels. For instance, it is foolish to include a known criminal no matter how prominent, as a referee.
Finally, referees should be people who have your best interest at heart. Most employers might require a written response from referees, and they should be willing to go out of their way to expend energy and resources in your favour.
This therefore means that you have to build good relationships at work. As we have written here before, quitting a job in the wrong way and leaving a trail of offended people can spell a death knell for your career future.
Your colleagues, supervisor or manager today will most likely be called upon to give some information about your in the future
The writer is a human resources specialist with Peoplelink Consultants Ltd.
- Relief as surgeons re-attach man’s severed private organ
- Can medical board really bite finger that feeds it?
- Mother claims nurse watched her newborn die
- Governor’s encounter with leaky roofs in school
- Police arrest former councillor for piracy
- Cord leaders allege ploy by State to ‘kill’ devolution through Ministry