Other proposals include the need to eradicate ethnic-based politics and full compliance with Political Parties Act. The conference resolved the Press was ill equipped to deal with the challenges posed by the 2007 General Election. It alleged that the media were influenced by excitement, threats, intimidation, violence, bribery and political polarity. The envisaged EMB should develop methods of dealing with the media to improve the quality of election reporting.
"The EMB should also improve the process and speed up supply of election results to the media," said Nyaundi. The conference also reiterated the role of leadership in electoral reforms, saying the failure of leadership was to blame for the current electoral challenges.
- Petitioner in case against Obure election is an imposter
- Man gets 20 years in jail for raping 80-year-old woman
- Ukraine's finance ministry denies "drunk" claims against minister
- Sweden jails Rwandan for life for role in 1994 genocide
- Uhuru ICC trial begins Nov 12
- Pirate Bay founder sentenced to 2 years in Sweden hacking case